Thursday, October 9, 2008

Midterm






For my midterm I really wanted to create something that I always enjoy that other people can spend and endless amount of time doing. So I decided to investigate the construction of a drawing application. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. The only problem I encountered was when I created my initial movieclip, it wouldn't let me draw in it. So I decided to use the "createEmptyMovieClip" property and assign that an instance name. It worked out great.

Coding each of the individual colors what quite a task. Each one needed a RollOver, RollOut, and onRelease, all using hex color codes and instance names.

The Printer function took a little bit of research to figure out how to print ONLY my created movie clip and not the entire stage (with the color boxes, print icon, and clear icon). But it works great and came out exactly like I wanted it to.

After a while of drawing I realized it probably needed some way to clear the stage, or the created movie clip, instead of starting the program over again. So I included the Clear function which just resets the initial movie clip to it's beginning settings.

I'm definitely pretty happy with how this came out, especially since I did about 550 lines of code to do it all within the main timeline. I would like to explore being able to control the stroke weight, opacity, and saving it as a jpg. But all of which were cumbersome in the way I set up the drawing stage. I would have to investigate other options in which the area you draw in is selective and when out of that area you are able to use the mouse freely.

6 comments:

Jordan said...

Hell yeah man. I drew an orange penis.


works well my man.

Only thing is that I can color over the colors.

You got this man.

ericHUBER said...

Probably one of the smoother drawing applications that I have used. I saw the code, bet it was a hoot.

Get some different brushes and whatnot.

Ms. Singleton said...

I think the pencil makes it different from a usual digital sketchpad. Very, Very nice Anthony! :-D

DaKoda Davis said...

I think became very successful for you anthoney. I do agree that it will be very nice to incorporate different stroke weights and patterns. The application is very clean and simple which I think works for the overall effect.

shaw said...

Very intuitive. Do you plan to expand on what you have? Multiple line sizes and patterns would be a nice addition.

qaaim said...

Man. I've been trying to do something like this forever.
It reminds me off the good ol' MSPaint. It would be nice if you had a way of saving the images or recording what people draw and show the playback. I agree with Dakoda about the different stroke weights.